Surely, you are wondering why this dress is called "Second opportunity"... Well, this has a logical explanation... I sewed this pattern for the first time in late September, the model is a pattern of Burdastyle May/2011, #128.
The pattern was not widely accepted and several sewers thought is best to change back a little to get a beautiful dress in Joan Holloway´s style (Mad Men), I was one on those who saw beyong the puff back and the photo (not very favored) of the magazine where the pattern appears. So that first dress was "Lavender Dreams".
However, this type of puff back , was very popular in 60´s and I think this is just one of things that I like about it....
El patrón no tuvo mucha aceptación y varias compañeras pensaron que lo mejor era alterar un poco la espalda para conseguir un hermoso vestido al más puro estilo de Joan Holloway (Mad Men), yo fuí una de las personas que vió más allá de la espalda abullonada y la foto (no muy favorecida) de la revista donde aparece el patrón. Así que aquel primer vestido fué "Sueños Lavanda".
Sin embargo, yo sabía que este vestido podía ser realmente bonito con algunas pequeñas modificaciones y decidí que tenía que coserlo otra vez llevando mis ideas a la práctica...
Además, este tipo de espalda fruncida fué muy popular en los años 60 y yo creo que esta es precisamente una de las cosas que me gusta de él...
So with this in my mind, I knew that sewing the dress as the pattern isn´t very flattering, then my mind began to imagine that if there was any way to "hold" the front of the dress to my body, would be great and it does not look like a "sack" without form, I don´t know if this makes sense to you... The main idea was that the dress stuck to my body on the front and back completely limp.
The first step was to eliminate the seam in the middle of the back, the pattern of the magazine has a back seam and it´s cut on straight line, well, this is a "nonsense"!! For this piece has a nice weight, I cut it on the bies, all in one piece, without seams.
To get the idea that the front would be subject to my body, I did the next... the same back pattern , folder of that the width of the back is equal to the width of my back on the area of armhole, also folded the paper to remove excess in the waist area and drew a dart to adjust the waist, I took advantage of an old skirt that no longer used, but its fabric has a percentage of elastane, which is good for this "extra piece" is comfortable.
Back pattern placed thus on the fold of fabric.
So I got a piece of "extra" to place inside of the back, sewn into the side seams from the armhole to the waist.
Place the back piece on the inside of the dress and sew together the side seams and waist. Finish sewing the dress.
This is the inner aspect of the dress finished, the "extra piece" of the back, attached to the front by side seams get a very flattering "adjusting" the dress to the body on the front. In addition, the fabric of this piece contains elastane, so comfort assured.
And this is the dress finished , you must excuse it still needs a good ironing, but I wanted to take photos before the daylight disappeared.
There is still another detail that I changed to the original pattern, collar.
This time I wanted to change the look of the dress and collar extended a little to the side to get this nice effect.
Aún queda otro detalle que yo cambié del original, el cuello.
Esta vez yo quería cambiar el aspecto del vestido y alargué un poco el cuello hacia un lateral para conseguir este bonito efecto.
Now, as always, a part that gets me greatly enjoy, look for accessories to match this dress... I think this time the possibilities are endless, the whole dress sewn of one color, it gives freedom to combine with many other colors without limitations... so more photos of outfit to come tomorrow... until then...
Do not forget to enjoy of little things....
No se olvide de disfrutar de las pequeñas cosas....